(Singapore) – One of the best things when you’re pregnant is having a hubby who can cook anything you ask for. I was craving for baked pasta again, so he prepared Baked Macaroni, filled it with pumpkin and carrots, and topped it with beer battered fish. I am not only satisfying my craving, but also nourishing myself and the baby with high levels of Beta-carotene and Vitamins from the veggies and Protein and DHA from the fish. This dish is delightful for moms and nutritious for the babies.
- 80 grams unsalted butter
- ¼ cup plain flour
- 500 ml fresh milk
- 500 grams (uncooked) macaroni pasta
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 medium sized Japanese pumpkin, sliced to short and slender pieces (Julienne cut)
- 4 medium sized carrots, sliced to Julienne cuts
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
cup mozzarella cheese
- Melt the butter in low heat, stir regularly until it turns light brown.
- Increase to medium heat, add milk while stirring continuously until the sauce is thick then put aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling water according to directions on package, undercook by 2 minutes to make it al dente. Reserve 1/2 cup of cooking water before draining.
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Sauté the onions and garlic. Add the pumpkin and carrots and cook for 5-6 minutes, until softened. Stir in thyme and parmesan and sauté for 3 minutes. Set aside the carrots in a small plate.
- Add the drained pasta and the 1/2 cup of reserved cooking water into the skillet and mix well.
- In a baking pan, spread the following in layers: pasta mixture, béchamel sauce, mozzarella cheese, and carrots. Bake for 10-15 minutes.
- Top the baked macaroni with beer battered fish.
Preparation: 30 to 45 minutes