(Singapore) – In August last year, when I was 7 months pregnant, my dear friend Joyce organized a baby shower for me. It was super fun, with all the crazy games, and all my good friends around. And the best part is, our good friend V
ia, came all the way from Manila to surprise me and to party with us! Well, okay, that was the 2nd best part. Because, of course, the real best part was – the food! Haha! Just kidding. The menu was superb, but it was the people who made the event very special for me and my baby Eleina.
Vergel prepared 5 dishes – Pancit Canton, Sisig, Pork Igado, Chicken Fricassee, Beef Bourguignon and Baked Fish – in only 6 hours! Now, that’s what you call a Masterchef! :)
I’ve already shared the recipes for Sisig and Beef Bourguignon in my previous posts. Now, here’s the recipe for the Traditional Greek Baked Fish. Vergel got this from the Cook’s Bible, and modified it a little to suit the Filipino taste. Hope you enjoy it!
- The full spread
Serves: 4-6 persons Preparation and Cooking time: 2 hours
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 celery sticks, finely sliced
- 1 large lemon, thinly sliced
- 150 ml dry white wine
- 400 g tomatoes, chopped
- pinch of sugar
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1-1.3 kg red snapper (or any round whole fish), scaled and cleaned
- 1 kg shrimp, rinsed with shell on
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4.
- Heat 4 tablespoons of the oil in a large saucepan. Add the garlic and onions to the pan and fry for 5 minutes until softened. Add the celery and carrots, and fry for 5-10 minutes until they are slightly softened.
- Pour the white wine into the saucepan and bring to the boil. Add the chopped tomatoes, sugar, half the lemon, salt and pepper. Simmer for 20 minutes, then add the chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley to the pan.
- Spread the shrimp evenly in a shallow, ovenproof dish and sprinkle half of the remaining oil on it. Place the fish on top of the shrimp, and arrange the vegetables around it. Put some lemon slices on top and sprinkle the remaining oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Bake the fish and shrimp, uncovered, in the preheated oven for 45 minutes-1 hour, depending on the thickness of the fish, until tender. Serve immediately, straight from the oven.